Friday, January 9, 2009

Friday Foto Finish Fiesta

As in http://carriestuckmann.blogspot.com

Arlington National Cemetery

On Thanksgiving morning, I drove down to Arlington with my Dad and my friend. Hubby was in charge of the cooking :)

I've been living in DC for nearly 10 years but it was the first time I went there. It's a beautiful, peaceful place, but of course very sad. It looks like a neverending garden of stones. So many men & woman who sacrificed their lives for this country. It's a truly remarkable effort.

For those who do no know, Arlington Cemetery was built on what used to be General Lee's farm. General Lee's house is still there, under renovation now, but we were able to go inside for a bit. In the back of the house, there was a vegetable garden, 2 slave quarters (quite small, really) and a gazebo.

We were able to see President Kennedy's grave, L'Enfant's Grave and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. Pierre Charles L'Enfant was the man who designed the plans of the city of Washington, DC. His Grave is at the top of a hill, overlooking the entire city. The view is incredible from up there.

On our way home, we stopped by the USMC/Iwo Jima War Memorial.

Here are some photos I took while I was there. Please roll over for the caption, and click for the enlarged version.

Entrance of Cemetery - Disclaimer

Model of General Lee's House View of Cemetery

View of Cemetery View of Cemetery

Admiral Rickover's Grave

Kennedy Family Graves :JFK

L'Enfant plaque L'Enfant grave

Panoramic view of Washington Entrance of General Lee's house

Andy Dick was the guide inside - sorry I couldn't resist

Changing of the guards @ Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Iwo Jima

Iwo Jima and the sunset

6 comments:

larkswing said...

Great Photos! We went in 2004 and was so impressed with Arlington Cemetary. The changing of the guards was very touching.

Susie said...

Great photos!! I have yet to visit this landmark. I think it should be required for every American. To pay due for our freedom.

Unknown said...

Great photos !!!

Rena Jones said...

Beautiful pictures! My husband would love to go back east and see all these historic places someday. He is really into that sort of thing. Thanks for sharing your day, Renata.

BTW -- I just checked out the trailer for Tim Burton's "9" and all I can say is -- WOW!

Candid Carrie said...

Wow, did you take that last photograph? That is absolutely stunning with the sunlight behind it, I would have looked for a different angle but you totally made it work!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. Did you get to see the change of the honor guards? I've read about their lives and it is touching.