What can I say about Wall-E? I don't know whether it's the best Pixar movie to date, but certainly the boldest, as a friend of mine pointed.
I might add that ALL Pixar movies I've seen are great, even the ones I'm not crazy in love with (i.e. A Bug's Life). Theis quality is amazing. Ever since Toy Story changed the history of animation 13 years ago - has it been that long? - they never let me down. It's masterpiece after masterpiece. Nemo, Monsters, Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille (they even had my name in the movie, how cool is that?). And I own a copy of every single one of them!
Let's not forget the awesome short animated films they have done. One preceeds every Pizar movie in the theatres. The latest one, before Wall-E, is called "Presto", about a magician and the bunny, is hilarious, rolling-on-the-floor laughing, non-stop fun. My cheeks were hurting, really!
Now, back to Wall-E. It's G-Rated, appropriate for children of all ages. But not all children will enjoy the movie. Little T says he didn't like it. I think he couldn't quiate graps what it was about. That said, Wall-E is more an animated film for adults, and will most likely be enjoyed by older children.
Well, the movie takes place in the future. The first part is completely silent, with a few sound effects. Human race had to leave Earth. Everything is barren, and there is only one thing left behind: a solar-powered robot called Wall-E (short for Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class). It's basically a trash compactor who does the same thing over and over again, collects a few treasures and parts in case he needs some repair, and has a little cockroach as a pal. He develops some human qualities over the years, and longs for love watching an old VHS of Hello Dolly). At one point, he finds a little plant growing in the dead soil (which will be important towards the second part of the film). Then the planet is visited by a spaceship and it leaves behind a more futuristic robot called Eve (short for Extraterrestrial Vegetation Evaluator). Wall-e falls in love with Eve.
Events in the movie take them to the Axiom ship, some sort of "noah's ark" vessel humans used to escape the planet 700 years before. So this is what human race looks in the future: computers and robots do everything, everyone is obese, sit in chairpods as opposed to walking, spend time chatting on teleconferences instead of having real human contact, and eat very large meals. My 10-year old goddaughter loved the movie, but was extremely disturbed by this vision. I did too, I admit. It seems this is the way the future will be if we don't take good care of our planet. The Captain of the ship takes upon himself a mission, and some robots are non too pleased.
One of my favorite parts of the film, and also the funniest, is when the little sanitizer robot MO! He gets upset about cleaning up after Wall-E's tracks. He just cracked me up. Oh, and can I please have one of those in my house!
4 comments:
We loved this movie! The girls loved this movie...they didn't "get it", but they loved it all the same. It. is. so. cute. I want one.
M.M.M.M...O. So dern cute.
ok, miss 5 has been pestering me to see "The Little Digger" as she calls Wall-E. If Sunshine's girls liked it, then I might just cave in and go see it, I know it will be above their heads, but she likes Pixar movies, so maybe we will go.
Oh, I knew you had seen it, so I came here for your "review". Thanks! The joys of us getting these movies AFTER the US.
Post a Comment