Let me warn you, this is an amazing film but it's not an easy one to watch. People who saw it either loved it or hated it. There are a lot of issues presented. If you get easily depressed, you might want to skip it. It's not plain entertainment; it's a movie to make you think.
The film was based on the Nobel-prize winning novel by Portuguese author Jose Saramago. I have read the book - a very hard read - and I must say it's a very faithful adaptation. The action takes place anywhere. There isn't a particular city, or country. There are multiple languages being spoken. The characters have no names.
The story is, suddenly, the world is hit by what it looks like "an epidemic of Blindness". And there is only one person who can see. But she wishes she didn't.
It's a metaphor, an alegory. You must understand this. It will make you uncomfortable, many times (the overexposed photography will help you get there).
The ensemble, multiracial cast does an amazing job, but Julianne Moore steals the show in a very moving performance, hopefully worthy of a few awards. A must-see! (no joke intended)
2 comments:
I was planning to see it, but I'm easily depressed... what do I do now? :-|
Although it can't be worse than just listening to the news.
I totally want to see it! Thanks for the great review!
Post a Comment